Thursday, February 17, 2011

Old Friend

Three Word Wednesday, prompt words were blink, kind, and occasion.

Old Friend

I didn’t recognize you.
A shy, drawling “Hey” sparked
a recent memory which face
and figure didn’t match. Staring,
blinking, I tried to place
you, but only the eyes looked
familiar. Deep within their sunken
pools reflections of what you were
still remained. Why did you do it?
What kind of driving need
caused you to pursue such
deceptive self-destruction,
your mind and body blasted
by repeated momentary pleasure?
The will to die I can understand,
but the will to live such
a life, raging for the next
fix, comes from a place
I cannot know. This should have
been one happy occasion, lively talk
about work and kids and hard-earned
success. But like a boy caught
in a lie I could only mumble,
look aside, and wish there
was more I could say.

6 comments:

  1. This is so beautifully written I am almost wordless. I too, cannot understand what drives people so, it is so sad and ultimately meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Altonian - beautifully done..there are sometimes no words big enough to describe what is or what could have been..you captured that feeling perfectly..thanks for your visit..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.A. and Jae,

    Thank you both. Your own blogs give me much reading pleasure--hopefully I can return the favor every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Descriptive and wonderful with few words you've captured much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheilagh,

    Thanks, I'm happy you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So rich in description and feeling, I very much appreciate your efforts here.

    ReplyDelete