Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Even after 8 kids



Proud Daddy


A huge slimy slug, he crosses the floor
leaving slobber trails for the unsuspecting
barefoot traveler, constantly grinning
as if he already knows the joy of
a well-planned practical joke. How can this
wriggling bundle of spit and skin provoke
such profound love in me, bringing me
out of myself? He can't even say my name,
yet I know him and he knows me, and the
bond of our souls is beyond speech. As I
lean close to his dimpled face all heaven
breaks loose; like the chorus of a thousand
angels his smile drowns out all chaos, and every
gloomy thought vanishes is the radiance
of breathtaking innocence and beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I miss slugs and those huge spiral backed snails and toads. We don't get those here in Phoenix. We have jackrabbits, coyotes, rattlesnakes, roadrunners and quail running across our paths.

    ReplyDelete